SMALL ANIMAL THERIOGENOLOGY DIAGNOSTICS 2012
This is a two-part assignment. You may use your notes or any other reference materials. You may discuss this information with a partner but every student must complete and submit an assignment.
Part One: Complete the assignment below. This assignment is worth 25 points. It may be submitted as a hard copy to Dr. Root's mailbox outside the VCS office or at her office (C344 VMC) or attached to an email as a Word document or pdf (firstname.lastname@example.org). This assignment is due September 19, 2012, at 8:00 am. Early assignments will be gratefully received. Late assignments will not be graded and will constitute a grade of zero for this portion of the course.
Part Two: Log on to the course website after 8:00 am on October 3, 2012 and repeat the muliple choice quiz you took as a pre-test the first day of class. This quiz will close on October 8, 2012, at 8:00 am.
To pass this section of the course, you must receive a minimum of 15 points as a grade from Dr. Root on the assignment and must complete the on-line multiple choice quiz.
1) Before registration of a litter, the American Kennel Club requires verification of fertility of sires more than 12 years of age. You are presented with a 14 year old intact male Labrador Retriever for breeding soundness examination. On physical examination, rectal temperature, pulse and respiratory rate are normal. He has severe dental disease. Both testes are small and soft. The prostate is palpably enlarged and non-painful. You attempt semen collection; no teaser bitch is present. You collect 3 ml brown seminal fluid. Total number of spermatozoa in the sample is 120 million. Percentage progressively motile spermatozoa is about 50%, and percentage morphologically normal spermatozoa is 55%.
a) [2 pt] Can you certify this dog as fertile? Why or why not?
b) [6 pt] Describe three (3) problems in this dog, and how you and the owner might address them.
2) Anatomy of the reproductive tract of the bitch
a) [2 pt] What is the dorsal median postcervical fold and what is its clinical significance?
b) [2 pt] Can you feel a bitch's cervix by digital vaginal examination? Why or why not?
3) [3 pt] You perform a rapid slide agglutination test for canine brucellosis on a dog with a history of pregnancy loss, and get a positive result. You remember that false positives may occur, and so submit a sample to the diagnostic laboratory in your state for the test they routinely run, the tube agglutination test. It also is positive, with a titer of greater than 1:200. What is your plan for this dog?
4) The owner of a bitch that is with a handler for hunt training asks the handler to do vaginal swabs through the bitch's season, to help gather information about the bitch's cycle for future breeding management. You stain and evaluate the slides.
|04-23||3+ RBCs, 80% superficial cells, 20% intermediate cells, 2+ PMNs|
|04-26||3+ RBCs, 80% superficial cells, 10% intermediate cells, 10% anuclear squames, 1+ PMNs|
|04-28||1+ RBCs, 70% superficial cells, 30 % anuclear squames|
|04-29||40% superficial cells, 60% anuclear squames|
|05-02||50% superficial cells, 50% anuclear squames|
|05-05||45% superficial cells, 55% anuclear squames|
|05-07||70% intermediate cells, 30% parabasal cells, 4+ PMNs|
|05-08||70% intermediate cells, 30% parabasal cells, 2+ PMNs|
a) [2 pt] On what date did she enter cytologic estrus?
b) [1 pt] On what date did she enter cytologic diestrus?
c) [2 pt] Recognizing that this method does not permit definitive pinpointing of ovulation day, on what date do you estimate she ovulated? Explain your reasoning.
5) You are presented with a 3 year old intact female Keeshond. She has been in Stage II labor for over 4 hours without having a pup. The owner has noted passage of a large volume of clear vulvar discharge and, more recently, a small amount of green vulvar discharge.
a) [3 pt] With only this information, describe as you would for a client the pros and cons of oxytocin therapy versus Cesarean section in this bitch.
b) [2 pt] List two (2) diagnostic tests that would yield useful information to guide management of this bitch at this time. For each, explain how various test results would lead to specific recommendations for management.