I. SIMPLE FEAR
Five Dimensions of Fear
1. Description: Psychological Responses to Danger.
2. Cause: Caused by Specific Threat.
3. Duration: Temporary, While the Danger is Present.
4. Scope: Limited to the Values the Peril Can Reach.
5. Cure: Fight or Flight.
II. EXISTENTIAL ANXIETY
Five Dimensions of Existential Anxiety
1. Description: Irrational, Free-Floating Terror.
2. Cause: No Intelligible Basis or Source.
3. Duration: Permanent, Does Not Pass Away.
4. Scope: Pervades Our Whole Being.
5. Cure: Nothing We Do Will Overcome Angst.
III. MOMENTS OF DISCLOSURE OF EXISTENTIAL
A. Exaggerated Fears.
B. Phantom Fears.
C. Plain, Ordinary, Everyday Anxiety.
D. When Normal Securities Disappear.
E. Fear of the Future.
F. Fear of the 'Nothing'.
G. Ontological Anxiety.
IV. ATTEMPTING TO HANDLE EXISTENTIAL ANXIETY
V. FOCUSING ANXIETY FOR AUTHENTIC EXISTENCE
VI. FREEDOM FROM EXISTENTIAL ANXIETY
James Park is an
This presentation is based on a chapter in his longest book,
Our Existential Predicament: Loneliness, Depression, Anxiety, & Death,
called "Existential Anxiety: Angst".
A three-page version of
this sermon appears here:
Existential Anxiety: Angst.
Return to Top 40 Sermon Subjects by James Park.
Return to the UNITARIAN-UNIVERSALISM page.
Return to the beginning of this home page:
An Existential Philosopher's Museum.